Wednesday, March 27, 2013

An Apology

As I talked about here, last Tuesday my teacher said some pretty hurtful things, joking about depression, anorexia, and abortion.

Luckily we had a mid-course evaluation last week, so I was able to tell him, anonymously, how hurtful it was and even if he didn't mean it that way, it was not good.

So, I went to class last night. Truthfully, I wasn't even sure if he'd bring it up. He seems like a nice enough guy, but this is a delicate topic, and would he bring up how wrong he was? Would he apologize?

Luckily, he did both. We went over the results of the mid-course evaluation, which were pretty boring for me. But I noticed on the PowerPoint there was a bullet that addressed this. So I sat patiently. 

When he got to that bullet-point, he said "I'm sorry if I get emotional" and proceeded to apologize. He mentioned that only a few people brought this up, but he felt it was important enough that he needed to address it. He was generally upset that he had offended anyone. He basically broke into tears. I was impressed. I still am. 

Which brings me to my point: part of me really wants to email him and thank him for being so humble to apologize - that it means a lot to me. 

Should I? 

No comments:

Post a Comment